Two burn victims, including a 3-month-old child, in critical condition
A probe body has been formed to investigate the gas explosion inside a flat in Narayanganj’s Fatullah area that left at least 11 people with burn injuries yesterday.
The three-storey building in Fatullah’s Paschim Talla area has been vacated and cordoned off after the blast.
Confirming the developments, Deputy Commissioner (DC) Mostain Billah said that the seven-member inquiry committee had been directed to submit their probe report within seven working days.
“The next course of action will be decided after receiving the report,” he added.
The DC continued: “The Public Works Department has been asked to provide the structural design of the building. It will remain sealed off until further notice as it is in a precarious condition due to the blast.”
The government would provide assistance to the burn victims, he added.
The deadly explosion inside Baitus Salat Jame Masjid that led to the death of 34 people on September 4 last year is also located in Paschim Talla area.
Among the victims, Habibur Rahman, 56, his wife Aleya Begum, 42, their son Limon, 20, and their daughters Shathi, 25, Mim, 22, and 3-month-old Mahira are currently undergoing treatment at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery.
“Aleya and Mahira are in critical conditions,” said Inspector Bacchu Miah of Dhaka Medical College Hospital police outpost.
“About 95% of Aleya Begum’s body has been burnt. Meanwhile, around 5-6% of Mahira’s body including the lower part and one side of her face has been burnt. The other members of the family are out of danger,” he added.
Others injured in the blast are Md Sonahar, 55, his wife Shanta Begum, 42, their son Samiul, 26, his wife Monowara Akter, 20, and another unidentified person. They received primary treatment at Narayanganj General Hospital.
Abdullah Al Arefin, deputy director of Narayanganj Fire Service and Civil Defence, said that the building had almost collapsed due to the explosion.
“There was probably a gas leakage or a stove remained switched on throughout the night, which resulted in the rooms to be filled with gas as all windows and doors were closed. Later, someone tried to light a stove or there was an electric spark which caused the explosion,” he said.