The injured were admitted to DMCH in critical condition and are currently undergoing treatment there
Five members of a family, including a one-year-old child, have suffered severe burn injuries after a gas cylinder exploded at a residential building in Narayanganj’s Fatullah upazila.
The incident took place on the top floor of the six-storey building in Masdai Patenga Mor area of the upazila in the early hours of Tuesday, around 12:30am.
The injured are – garment worker Mishal, 26, his wife Mita, 23, their one-year sold son Minhaj, and Mita’s two brothers Mahfuj and Sajib.
According to Fire Service officials, there was a gas leakage in the apartment and the fire started when somebody tried to turn on the stove, light a combustible substance, or through a spark .
Also read - ED: Accidents waiting to happen
As the family members screamed, their neighbours rushed over to put out the fire and also rescued them.
They were first admitted to Narayanganj General Hospital. Later, Golam Mostafa Emon, a doctor of the hospital’s emergency department, transferred them to the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) as they were severely burnt.
Belal Hossain, station officer of Mandalpara fire station in Narayanganj city, said: “On information, two units rushed to the spot but by then the locals had already doused the fire. Most of the furniture in the apartment were burnt.
“We are investigating the incident,” he added.