10 firefighting units brought the fire under control after two hours of effort
Around 30 shops have been gutted after a fire broke out on the ground floor of Jamal Market in Station Road area of Rangpur.
The fire broke around 5am on Tuesday, according to police.
Ahidul Islam, acting deputy director of Rangpur Fire Service, said: “On information, eight firefighting units rushed to the spot. Later, two more units joined from different areas and brought the fire under control after two hours of effort.
“The origin of the fire cannot be determined without investigation,” he added.
Also read - Massive fire at Gazipur’s Konabari contained
However, businessmen said the fire originated from an electrical short circuit in a clothing shop and warehouse. It caused them a loss of around Tk5 crore.
Moreover, two businessmen fell sick due to the smoke and were immediately sent to the hospital, their peers added.