The cylinder exploded as gas was being refilled in a fire extinguisher
A man has died in a cylinder explosion while refilling gas in a fire extinguisher at a shop in Narayanganj’s Fatullah area.
The incident took place on the ground floor of the Dream House building in Bilas Nagar of Chanmari area in a shop, Safety First Fire Protection, on Thursday.
Upon receiving the news, the fire service and local police went to the spot and recovered the body of the deceased.
Fatullah Model police station Officer in-Charge (OC) Aslam Hossain said the body had been sent to Narayanganj General Hospital for autopsy.
He also added that the police were investigating the matter.
The deceased was identified as Rafiqul Islam, 60, son of Muminullah Miah from Lakshmipur in Noakhali. He had been an employee of the shop for five years.
According to local and eyewitness sources, the cylinder exploded while gas was being refilled on Thursday afternoon. Rafiqul died on the spot.
Narayanganj Fire Service and Civil Defence Deputy Director Abdullah Al-Arefin said the shop used to sell and refill fire extinguishers. It used carbon dioxide gas for refilling. The cylinder in which the carbon dioxide was preserved was very old.
Initially it was being speculated that the excessive pressure of gas while refilling the cylinder caused the explosion, the fire service official said.