The accused was summoned at the next session of the court on January 14, 2021
A Cox's Bazar court has summoned the NGO worker who, earlier on November 10, was sued by BGB for Tk100 crore in a defamation case.
Judge Helal Uddin of Cox's Bazar Senior Judicial Magistrate court-3 issued the order on Sunday after police submitted their investigation report to the court in this regard.
The accused Farzana Akhtar, 28, an employee of Bangladesh Legal Aid and Services Trust (BLAST), was summoned at the next session of the court on January 14, 2021, the plaintiff's lawyer Advocate Sazzadul Karim confirmed.
The lawsuit against Farzana was filed with the court of Cox's Bazar Senior Judicial Magistrate Tamanna Farah.
The plaintiff of the case, on behalf of BGB, is Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) Naib Subedar Md Ali Mollah, in-charge of the Damdamia check-post of Teknaf BGB 2 Battalion.
According to case filed on behalf of Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB), Farzana falsely accused male members of the Damdamia BGB outpost on Cox's Bazar-Teknaf Highway of gang-raping her.
After checking the outpost’s CCTV footage, the allegation was found to be false, they said.
When contacted on Sunday, Barrister Sara Hossain, honorary director of BLAST, told Dhaka Tribune: "We have not seen the report that police submitted. We have sent a letter to the BGB about this allegation, but have not received any reply yet. We believe in the inquiry of any such kind of allegations until appropriate action is taken."
She further said everyone should be careful about the rape survivor, who has spoken out, and should not start blaming her.
Barrister Jyotirmoy Barua, one of the lawyers representing the survivor, told Dhaka Tribune: "We learnt of the matter via media reports. We will proceed accordingly after receiving the court's notice about the summon order."