• Sunday, Jan 24, 2021
  • Last Update : 08:49 pm

Over 100,000 still without power in Sylhet

  • Published at 01:05 pm November 19th, 2020
sylhet water crisis
City residents collect water in bottles, buckets and drums from the Surma River in Sylhet on Wednesday, November 18, 2020 Dhaka Tribune

It has been 48 hours since the fire at Kumargaon power plant and 30% of all city subscribers have yet to receive power

Over 100,000 subscribers of Sylhet’s Power Development Board (PDB) and Rural Electrification Board still remain without electricity after 48 hours since a fire incident at a grid substation in the city that disrupted a transmission line.

Khandaker Mokammel Hossain, the chief engineer (sales and distribution) of Sylhet Power Development Board, said: “Power has been restored to 70% subscribers in Sylhet city as of 11am Thursday. Efforts are underway to restore power to the remaining 30% subscribers in the city.”

According to PDB sources, out of a total of 430,000 subscribers in the city as many as 129,000 subscribers are still out of power.

“A power transformer brought to Sylhet from Gazipur is being installed. Power supply will return to normal after installing the new transformer,” Mokammel said.


Also read - Electricity supply restored in some parts after 31 hrs


Meanwhile, the prolonged power outage has triggered water shortages in many areas of the region. People are struggling to keep their cellphones on and are reporting internet issues. 

The power cut has affected operations at hospitals and work at public and private offices. Only a small number of refuelling stations are open but they are struggling to provide fuel to customers. Sales of candles and bottled water have shot up.

Meanwhile, water supply has remained suspended during the blackout, putting city residents and patients at hospitals in trouble.

Earlier, two transmitters of the national grid line caught fire at a substation in Kumargaon of Sylhet around 11am on Tuesday.

59
Facebook 58
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail