More than hundred people who were arrested are now out of jail on bail
Although four years have passed after the arson attacks and vandalism on the homes and temples of Hindus in Brahmanbaria’s Nasirnagar upazila, the victims have expressed their frustration as the investigations into most of the cases are yet to be completed.
However, senior police officials said the investigations will be completed soon.
Following the attacks, eight cases were filed with Nasirnagar police station accusing some 2,000 unidentified people, but the law enforcers are yet to complete investigations and submit the chargesheets for seven of those cases.
In one of the eight cases, police pressed charges against 223 suspects, said Nirmol Choudhury, the plaintiff of the case.
Police arrested over a hundred people in connection with the case, all of whom are now out on bail.
Despite repeated attempts, Dhaka Tribune could not contact Brahmanbaria Superintendent of Police (SP) Md Anisur Rahman in this regard.
On October 30, 2016, a mob vandalised some 10 temples and ransacked over 100 houses belonging to the minority Hindus of the area over an alleged defamatory Facebook post by a Hindu youth Rasraj Das.
More than 100 people were injured in the attack. The ruling Awami League suspended three of its Nasirnagar unit leaders for their alleged involvement.
Talking to Dhaka Tribune, Purnima Das of Gangul Para whose house was vandalized on the day, said: “I don't want to recall the horror of that day. Shocked, my husband became speechless and died last year."
Another victim, Aarti Das of Haripur village said: "We pray to God foe the understanding to those who carried out attack on us. I do not want to see such events in the future."
Parimal and Subal Das said: "Do not ask about the incident. Nothing will happen. I don't know if there will be any trial."
They may face more trouble talking to this correspondent, said the two victims.
Rasraj said he had no idea what social media is. Some people came to his house and started beating him at the day of the incident. The mob handed him over to police when they thought he died.
He said he had to appear regularly in the court for a case filed under the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Act.
"All my earnings from fishing go paying the transportation bill. I am innocent. So, I want to be acquitted from the case," he went on saying.
Rasraj Das's lawyer Advocate Nasir Mia said the case is still ongoing. Rasraj is continuing to appear at the court.
Nasirnagar upazila Hindu Buddhist Christian Unity Council General Secretary Sujit Kumar Chakrobarti said: “All the attacks on minority communities based on Facebook posts are the same.
“Facts behind every incident should be brought to light. The guilty parties should face justice. Otherwise such incidents will continue to happen,” he added.