• Wednesday, Oct 21, 2020
  • Last Update : 07:32 pm

Chittagong port ranks 58th among 100 top ports

  • Published at 08:00 pm August 30th, 2020
Chittagong port
File photo of Chittagong port Md Manik/Dhaka Tribune

Chittagong port handled 3,088,187 TEUs (twenty equivalent units) of containers in 2019, up from 2,903,996 TEUs in 2018, posting a 6.3% annual growth in the container handling

In terms of annual container handling, Chittagong port moved six notches up to become the 58th busiest container port among 100 top ports across the globe, according to the Lloyd’s List — the world’s oldest journal on port and shipping.

The 2020 edition of Lloyd’s List of One Hundred Ports has recently been published, tallying up the annual container throughput figures of the world’s elite port facilities in 2019. 

Chittagong port handled 3,088,187 TEUs (twenty equivalent units) of containers in 2019, up from 2,903,996 TEUs in 2018, posting a 6.3% annual growth in the container handling. 

The Lloyd’s List stated that Chittagong port's flourishing export trade of readymade garments continues to help the port flourish.

Shanghai port, with a throughput of 43,303,000 TEUs, secured top position in this year’s chart.

A total of 24 Chinese ports are on the chart while two Indian ports - Jawaharlal Nehru Port and Mundra port -- secured 33rd and 37th positions respectively. 

The Sri Lankan port of Colombo was ranked 24th in the list.

Chittagong Port is now 27 steps ahead of Pakistan’s Karachi port, which ranked 85th.

Of the total goods shipped through Chittagong port, 27% is shipped through the containers while the remaining 73% is shipped through the general vessels (bulk, break bulk and tanker).

Rear Admiral SM Abul Kalam Azad, chairman of Chittagong Port Authority (CPA) said that the Shipping Ministry and the port users also made contributions for achieving the feat.

“Apart from existing capacities, the port expansion activities are underway. Construction of Patenga Terminal, Bay Terminal and Matarbari port are also progressing which will help improve the port’s ranking in future,” said the CPA Chairman.

Mahbubul Alam, president of Chittagong Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCCI) said that the economic growth in the service and industrial sectors has been reflected in the growth of container throughput of the port.

“The container handling will soar in the days to come. That is why there is no other alternative than to enhance the port’s overall facilities,” said Alam, also president of the Port Users’ Forum.

60
56
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail