The tragic accident took place around 9am on Sunday
Two workers have died after inhaling toxic gas inside a water reservoir of an under-construction building in Harbatali area under Akbar Shah police station in Chittagong city.
The tragic accident took place around 9am on Sunday.
The deceased were identified as Md Raihan, 27 and Mohiuddin Raju, 30. Raihan hailed from Noakhali while Raju hailed from Laxmipur district.
On information at 8:25 am, a team of Fire Service rushed to the spot and recovered the bodies of the workers at 10:25 am.
Farid Ahmed Chowdhury, Deputy Assistant Director of Chittagong Fire Service said the two workers went down the water reservoir of an under-construction building to cut off the bamboos that shored up the reservoir.
“The opening of the reservoir remained closed for a long time. Toxic gas accumulated inside the reservoir and the two workers might have died from inhaling the gas,” said the Fire Service official.
Mostafizur Rahman Chowdhury, officer-in-charge of Akbarshah police station said that the bodies of the two workers were sent to Chittagong Medical College Hospital (CMCH) for autopsy.