Fire service primarily suspect both construction workers suffocated to death when they inhaled toxic fumes trapped inside the septic tank
Two construction workers died reportedly after inhaling toxic gas while working inside a septic tank in Phulbari upazila of Kurigram.
The incident took place at an under-construction building at Gongarhat Bazar on Friday.
The deceased construction workers were identified as Al Amin, 25 and Sujon, 32, confirmed Phulbari police station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Nabiul Hasan.
Locals said that Al Amin first dropped into the septic tank to de-shutter the concrete slab. However, after a while, Al Amin stopped responding to Sujon’s calls. So, Sujon dropped down inside to check on him and also fell unconscious.
On information, a firefighting unit went to the spot and rescued them in an unconscious condition.
Later, they were taken to Phulbari Upazila Health Complex where doctors declared them dead.
Md Shahin, team leader of Phulbari Fire Service and Civil Defence, said: “We primarily suspect both construction workers suffocated to death when they inhaled toxic fumes trapped inside the septic tank.”
Echoing the same initial theory, Phulbari police station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Nabiul Hasan said the police will further investigate the incident if a formal complaint is filed with the police station.