Apurba was talking on the phone when his charging cell phone suddenly exploded
Banu Rani Das, mother of the recently deceased college student Apurba Das, has also succumbed to the injuries that they had both sustained from an exploding cell phone in Sonargaon upazila of Narayanganj.
Banu Rani Das died while undergoing treatment at the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital Wednesday morning.
Earlier on Sunday morning, Banu Rani Das and her son Apurba Das were critically injured when a charging cell phone suddenly exploded, setting their house on fire.
Apurba Das, was a second-year student of Sonargaon GR Institution Model School and College.
According to police and local sources, Banu Rani Das and her son Apurba Das were residents of Jayrampur in Sonargaon.
On Sunday morning, their house caught on fire when Apurba’s cell phone exploded, first injuring Apurba, and then injuring Banu Rani when she rushed in to save him.
Later, locals rescued them in critical condition and admitted them to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
Apurba Das had died after two days of treatment on Tuesday followed by his mother Banu Rani who died the day after, said Sonargaon police Officer-in-Charge (OC) Md Moniruzzaman.
Mizanur Rahman, landlord of the deceased, said Banu Rani Das received severe burn injuries on her head and neck, while her son’s face and chest were critically burnt from the cell phone blast.