Earlier on May 31, an asthma patient, Monwara Begum, died in an ambulance in Sylhet, after six private hospitals refused admission
A 55-year-old man suffering from shortness of breath and chest pain died on Friday after four hospitals refused him treatment in Sylhet.
Iqbal Hossain khoka, proprietor of RL Electronics in Bandar Bazar, was the resident of Kumarpara area in the city.
According to the deceased's son Tiham, on early Friday, Khoka started having chest pains and couldn't breathe. He was first taken to Oasis Hospital at Sobhani ghat area but the hospital refused to admit him, claiming a lack of oxygen system.
From there, he was taken to North East hospital in Dakkhin Surma area, which also refused admission, claiming not having enough beds.
Khoka was then taken to Sylhet Sahid Shamsuddin Ahmed Hospital since it was nearby. After waiting 15 to 20 minutes, a security guard asked the family to take the patient to another hospital.
Finally, the patient was taken to the Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College and Hospital, which finally admitted him. However, he died shortly after the doctors at the hospital did an electrocardiogram (ECG).
Doctors at the hospital delayed in providing treatment to my father, he said.
“Patients are denied treatment, even though the government has directed hospitals to provide proper treatment to patients during the coronavirus outbreak," Tiham added.
Nazmul Islam, general secretary of Traders’ Oikyo Kalyan Parishad, said not only Iqbal, but many patients are dying as hospitals are refusing treatment to patients.
He urged hospital authorities to be cordial in treating patients.
What the hospital authorities say
This correspondent tried to contact the authorities of the four hospitals over phone for their comments on the matter. Of which, three of them agreed to speak to Dhaka Tribune.
Dr Nazmul Islam, managing director at North East Medical College, said: "As I stayed at the hospital till 4am on Friday, I do not know about the incident. But, I will try to look into the matter if anything like this happens again."
Sushanta Mohapatra, resident medical officer (RMO), at Sylhet Sahid Shamsuddin Ahmed Hospital, said the patient was brought in at 4:45am on Friday. However, the two people present with the patient did not bring down the man from the ambulance, despite the hospital gate being open. He was then taken to Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital around 5:48am.
"Saheed Shamsuddin Ahmed Hospital is a government-run hospital. This kind of propaganda against the hospital is not expected. We have the CCTV footage of the full incident," he added.
Deputy Director Himangshu Lal Roy at Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College said: "I think there was a misunderstanding. I have seen the CCTV footage of the Sylhet Sahid Shamsuddin Ahmed Hospital where it was seen that the patient was not taken to the emergency ward."
Regarding the matter, Dr Anisur Rahman, assistant director (disease control) of Sylhet divisional health office, said: "I have heard about the incident. The problem is that no one files written complaint if anything happens like this. As a result, we cannot take action."
"We will take action if any written complaint is filed."
Earlier on May 31, an asthma patient, Monwara Begum, died in an ambulance in Sylhet, after six private hospitals refused admission or treatment.