• Monday, Feb 17, 2020
  • Last Update : 11:44 pm

Facebook video reunites family after 48 years

  • Published at 11:15 pm January 18th, 2020
Sylhet Father
Habibur Rahman, a resident of Beanibazar upazila of Sylhet reunites with family after 48 years through a Facebook video Collected

Habibur Rahman, a resident of Bejgram village in Beanibazar upazila, was missing since February, 1972

In a surprising turn of events, a man who went missing 48 years ago, has finally been reunited with his children through a Facebook video in Beanibazar upazila of Sylhet.

Habibur Rahman, a resident of Bejgram village in Beanibazar upazila, was missing since February, 1972.

His children left Bejgram a long time ago and settled in Kosba Bagtila area of Beanibazar municipality. His eldest son's wife was the first to recognize him in a video on Facebook. 

After watching the video, she showed it to other family members and they immediately rushed to Osmani Medical College Hospital where Habibur was being treated for a broken arm. 

He was then taken to a private hospital for further treatment.

Habibur—who is now 78—had disappeared ever since he had left home for some business, right after the Liberation War. 

His wife and four sons gave up hope that they could find their father alive, and soon began to write “late” before his name.

While he was away, Habibur suffered from mental illnesses and began spending nights at various shrines in Sylhet.

About 25 years ago he came to the shrine of Hazrat Shahab Uddin in Moulvibazar, where he met a woman named Razia Begum, 50, of Raisri village. 

She had been taking care of Habibur ever since. A few weeks ago, Habibur fell off his bed and broke his hand and was admitted to Moulvibazar Sadar Hospital.

However, doctors had to send Habibur to Sylhet Osmani Medical College Hospital as his hand was infected. During his treatment, Razia told Habibur’s story to a relative of another patient. The man later posted the video on Facebook.

Razia Begum said: "I met Habibur at the shrine 25 years ago. I came to respect him and began calling him Pir Sahib. Ever since then I've been looking after him."

Jalal Uddin, eldest son of Habibur Rahman, said: “Our father went out for business after ndependence. We searched for him a lot but did not find his whereabouts. Our mother died waiting for him. After watching the video on Facebook on Thursday, we found our long lost father at Osmani Medical College Hospital after 48 years.”

Habibur Rahman’s grandson Kefayet said: “After all these years, I am very happy to find my grandfather. I used to listen to stories of him from my father and uncles. I hoped one day I would get to see my grandfather. I thank Razia Begum and the video uploader for this.”