• Sunday, Jan 26, 2020
  • Last Update : 06:21 pm

CU Chhatra League calls off strike, issues 3-day ultimatum

  • Published at 02:50 pm December 2nd, 2019
Chittagong University
File photo of Chittagong University's main entrance Dhaka Tribune

Exams were postponed due to the lack of transport movement

A faction of Chittagong University Chhatra League unit has postponed their indefinite strike after issuing a three-day ultimatum to the authorities concerned, due to the visit of President Abdul Hamid in Chittagong.

They gave their  ultimatum demanding that authorities take action against the suspects involved in the Taposh murder, and punishment to those who beat their activists on Sunday, CU Chhatra League President Rezaul Haque Rubel told Dhaka Tribune on Monday.

He said: "A memorandum will be sent to the vice chancellor to take steps against them. Therefore, we will soon announce our next move."

CU Proctor SM Monirul Islam said: "The situation in the university campus is under control now, and movement of shuttle train and other transport systems are also normal.

"We will take strict action against those who are involved in these recent incidents."

Chairpersons of at least five departments of the university confirmed to Dhaka Tribune that they had to postpone today's (Monday) exams, as they arrived late on campus due to transportation problems.

Commenting on this matter, CU transport office administrator Professor Md Rashed-Un- Nabi said: "Our staff buses started out late today [Monday] due to the security concerns at the campus."

According to Chhatra League sources, on November 29, two CU Chhatra League factions clashed with each other over establishing supremacy. The clash left  a total of 7 activists, comprising of members from both groups, injured. 

The two factions are  Choose Friends with Care (CFC) and Varsity Express (VX).

University authorities have been trying to settle this conflict between the groups for the last three days, but the VX group beat two members of CFC at Hathazari upazila on Sunday.

After the incident, the CFC group called an indefinite strike at the university campus that very evening, took position in front of Shah Amanat hall, and vandalized the police box and vehicles belonging to police and the university's proctorial body. 

Later, police went to the spot and dispersed the protestors. Currently, over 100 police members have been deployed in the campus to avoid any untoward situation.

On 14 December 2014, Taposh Sarkar, a freshman student of the Sanskrit department and also a Chhatra League activist, died in front of Shah Amanat hall in a clash between two factions of CU Chhatra League.

Two days later, Taposh’s friend Hafizul Islam filed a murder case with Hathazari police station accusing 30 named Chhatra League activists and around 10-15 unnamed people. The case is under trial.