An inside gas pipeline exploded on the ground floor of the five storey building on Brickfield Road on Sunday morning, collapsing one of its walls, killing seven people and injuring at least 15 others
But apparently, no one took the caution seriously.
An inside gas pipeline exploded on the ground floor of the five storey building on Brickfield Road on Sunday morning, collapsing one of its walls, killing seven people and injuring at least 15 others.
The caution notice was issued as the building was built ignoring building codes and was structurally unstable, confirmed officials to Dhaka Tribune.
Chittagong Fire Service Deputy Assistant Director Purna Chandra Mutsuddi said: “We hung a notice on the building saying it is vulnerable and that residents and pedestrians should take caution.”
He continued: “The gas riser of this building should have been out in the open as some amount of gas is often released from it. However, this gas riser remained inside in a ground floor room following extension work.”
“Gas released from the riser accumulated and could not go out as the doors and windows were shut. To make matters worse, someone lit a matchstick or candle for puja,” the Fire Service official explained.
Shahinul Islam Khan, chief town planner of Chittagong Development Authority (CDA), inspected the building following the deadly blast.
He told Dhaka Tribune that the building was not structurally stable and building codes were not followed in its construction.
“The utility service lines were not installed properly. Gas riser and septic tank were set up side by side, making the building highly vulnerable,” Shahinul added.
Chittagong’s district administration and city corporation, Chittagong Metropolitan Police, and Karnaphuli Gas Distribution Company Ltd have formed three separate probe committees to investigate the incident.