In Chittagong, two people died after inhaling toxic gas while working at a ship-breaking yard in Sitakunda
Four people have died after inhaling toxic gas in separate incidents in Chittagong and Savar.
The incidents took place between Saturday and yesterday.
In Chittagong, two people died after inhaling toxic gas while working at a ship-breaking yard in Sitakunda upazila.
The incident happened at OWW ship breaking yard in Kumira area around 6:20pm on Saturday, police said.
The deceased were identified as Saiful Islam and Masudul Islam, said Sitakunda police station OC Shamim Sheikh.
He said the two workers fell sick after inhaling toxic gas while working.
They were rushed to Chittagong Medical College Hospital around 9:20pm, but died there undergoing treatment, the OC added.
Two die at Savar
In Savar, on the outskirts of capital Dhaka, two workers died after inhaling toxic gas in a water tank of a tannery at the Savar Tannery Industrial Estate yesterday morning.
One of them was identified as Bappy, a tannery worker.
The industrial estate police camp’s In-Charge Inspector Emarat Hossain said an unidentified man went down the water tank in the morning to clean it.
As he did not come out after a long time, Bappy went in, but he lost consciousness too.
Emarat said the duo was rescued by other workers soon after and taken to Enam Medical College Hospital, where doctors declared them dead.
Savar model police station OC AAFM Sayed said they recovered the bodies and sent those to Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College Hospital in Dhaka for autopsies.
He also said they were investigating the incident too.