• Wednesday, Feb 26, 2020
  • Last Update : 12:05 am

PBI takes charge of Khulna GRP gang rape case

  • Published at 01:29 pm September 26th, 2019

This is the second case recorded against the police members accused of gang rape

The gang rape case, filed against five officials of Khulna Government Railway Police (GRP) station has been handed over to Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI).   

The case was handed over to PBI around 4pm on Thursday. 

Two cases have been recorded with Khulna GRP regarding the rape. 

Confirming the matter to Dhaka Tribune, Md Faizur Rahman, officer-in-charge (OC) of Khulna GRP station, said: “This is the second case recorded against the police officials, including the former OC Osman Goni Pathan.

“The previous case was filed under the Torture and Custodial Death (Prevention) Act, 2013 on August 9.”

Earlier on Sunday, the woman filed a complaint with a court, but the tribunal refused to accept the case.

Later Monday, the same tribunal took the case into cognizance after questioning the rape survivor during a hearing, Farid Ahmed, special public prosecutor of Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal 3 in Khulna, said.

Advocate Mominul Islam, the plaintiff’s laywer, said: “After the hearing, the court directed Khulna GRP station to record the case and hand it over to PBI for further investigation.”

What happened?

According to the rape survivor and her brother-in-law, she was apprehended by the Khulna GRP officers on August 2 night at the Phultola Railway Station for allegedly stealing a mobile phone from a train coming from Jessore.

She was kept in the Khulna GRP station lockup overnight. The next morning, police produced her before a court in a drug case. She was sent to jail after a hearing.

On August 4, when the woman was in court for a bail hearing, she alleged that GRP station OC Osman Gani and four other policemen had raped her in turns.

The next day, to verify her statement, the woman’s medical check-up and test was conducted at Khulna Medical College and Hospital following a court order.

The victim's family also alleged that OC Osman had demanded Tk1 lakh on August 2 to release the woman from police custody.

Later, two separate committees were formed to investigate the allegations.

 The OC denied the rape allegation, but he and SI Nazmul Haque were closed on August 7 and attached to GRP Lines at Pakshi.

 On August 8, the custodial torture case was filed against the five policemen at the GRP station.

 Later on August 15, the medical test report was sent to the court.

Khulna railway circle Assistant SP Firoz Ahmed, the investigation officer of the custodial torture case, declined to comment on the matter as he was yet to get a copy of the report.