• Monday, Oct 14, 2019
  • Last Update : 11:50 am

2 Rohingyas among 3 killed in Teknaf, Kushtia 'gunfights'

  • Published at 11:30 am September 13th, 2019
web-gunfight-hand gun
Representational photo Bigstock

The incidents also left seven policemen injured

Three people, including two Rohingyas, have been killed in reported gunfights in Cox's Bazar and Kushtia districts.

The incidents happened early Friday.

In Cox's Bazar, two Rohingya men, suspected of being involved in the murder of Jubo League leader Omar Faruk, were killed in a reported gunfight with police in Teknaf upazila. 

The deceased were identified as Abul Karim, 24, and Nesar Ahmed alias Nesar Dacoit, 29, of Nayapara Rohingya camp.

Pradip Kumar Das, officer-in-charge of Teknaf police station said: "Acting on a tip-off,  we conducted a drive at Jadimura Hill area around midnight.

"At one stage the criminals fired at us, triggering a gunfight."

The OC added: "Karim and Nesar were injured in the skirmish and then sent to Teknaf Health Complex." 

Later, they were shifted to Cox's Bazar Sadar Hospital, where doctors declared them dead, he added.

The bodies were then sent to the hospital's morgue for autopsy, and a case has been filed under Teknaf police station in this regard.

Three policemen -- Sub Inspector (SI) Kazi Saif Uddin, 35, constables Nabil, 30, and Rabiul Islam, 33 -- were also injured in this incident.

Police also recovered two guns and seven rounds of bullets from the spot.

Jubo League leader Faruk, 30, was shot dead at Jadimura on August 22. His family said he had been picked up by a group of Rohingyas, and then murdered.

Since then, six men, suspected of being involved in the murder, have been killed in reported gunfights.

In Kushtia, a suspected drug dealer was killed in a reported gunfight among police and two groups of drug peddlers at Mollateghoria Kanalpara in Sadar upazila.

The deceased was identified as Sujon Malitha, 30, hailing from Takimara village of the same upazila.

Police said Sujon had several criminal cases filed against him.

Nasir Uddin, officer-in-charge of Kushtia Model police station said: "A police patrol went to the spot hearing gunshots around 2am.

"Criminals there opened fire at us, leading to a three-way gunfight."

Sujon got injured in the skirmish and was sent to Kushtia General Hospital, where doctors declared him dead, the OC added. 

Four policemen were injured in this incident.

Police also recovered a pistol, one round of bullet, 50 bottles of phensedyl, and 300 yaba pills from the spot.