The NGO Affairs Bureau sent a letter to the deputy commissioner’s office demanding immediate suspension of Mukti’s six active projects inside the refugee camps
The government has suspended the operations of Cox’s Bazar-based NGO Mukti in the Rohingya refugee camps over their alleged controversial activities.
The NGO Affairs Bureau sent a letter to the deputy commissioner’s office demanding immediate suspension of Mukti’s six active projects inside the refugee camps.
Cox’s Bazar Deputy Commissioner Md Kamal confirming the matter to Dhaka Tribune said: “We have suspended all activities of the six active projects undertaken by the NGO Mukti inside the Rohingya refugee camps.
“An investigation is underway to look into the allegations raised against the organization. The suspension order is to remain in effect until the submission of the probe report.”
Earlier on Monday afternoon, the local administration reportedly recovered around 600 sharp weapons from a blacksmith’s workshop in Ukhiya’s Cotbazar area. Assistant Commissioner (Land) Fakhlul Islam, led the drive and said the weapons were being made by NGO Mukti to be supplied to Rohnigya refugees inside camps.
Bimal Chandra Dey, chief executive of Mukti, in a press briefing on Tuesday, rejected the allegations of supplying arms to Rohingyas and said the firm received a government tender to supply agricultural utensils to famers of three wards under the Teknaf upazila. “The sharp utensils found in the blacksmith workshop were meant for farming and not to be used as weapons.”