• Monday, Mar 30, 2020
  • Last Update : 10:29 pm

3 madrasa students found dead inside imam’s room

  • Published at 07:48 pm August 30th, 2019
Web_Chandpur-Map
Map of Chandpur district Dhaka Tribune

Police said the cause of death will be determined after the autopsy

Three madrasa students have been found dead inside an imam’s room at the Purba Kaladia Mosque in Matlab South upazila of Chandpur on Friday. 

The deceased were identified as imam Jamal Uddin’s son Abdullah Al Noman, 8, third-grader Ibrahim, 12, and fourth-grader Rifat Hossain, 15. Ibrahim and Rifat were students of Bhangarpar Madrasa.

According to local sources, Jamal Uddin went back to his room adjacent to the mosque after the Jummah prayers, but found that it was locked from the inside. When he looked inside through the windows, he saw three boys from the madrasa, including his son, lying on the bed unconscious.

When the boys did not respond to his knocks, the imam broke into the room and took them to Matlab South Upazila Health Complex. The on-duty doctor declared two of the boys dead on arrival, and the other five minutes later.

Jamal Uddin said his son Noman used to live with him. “When I left for Jummah prayers, I saw Ibrahim and Rifat entering the room.”

Bhangarpar Madrasa Director Afsar Uddin said: “Rifat and Ibrahim were students at the madrasa. I recall Rifat asking for holidays and leaving for his hometown a week ago, and Ibrahim was also supposed to leave on Friday. And now they are both dead, which does not make any sense.” 

Matlab South police station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Swapan Kumar Aich said: “We went to the health complex after being informed of the incident. Their bodies did not bear any injury marks. We will be able to provide details on the deaths after an investigation.”

He added the cause of death will be determined after the autopsy, which will be carried out at Chandpur Sadar Hospital.

Chandpur Superintendent of Police Jihadul Kabir said: “We primarily suspect the children were poisoned somehow, and we feel that the room smelled of toxins.” 

The autopsy report will aid in our investigation, he added.