• Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019
  • Last Update : 03:39 pm

Severe breakdown of train schedules, buses on time

  • Published at 09:39 pm August 18th, 2019
File photo of holidaymakers seen coming back to the capital Syed Zakir Hossain/Dhaka Tribune

According to Kamalapur Railway Station officials, seven intercity trains missed their regular timelines

Many Dhaka-bound trains failed to reach the capital on time on Sunday, while most buses stuck to their schedules.

According to Kamalapur Railway Station officials, seven intercity trains missed their regular timelines.

The Nilsagar Express was supposed to reach Dhaka from Chilahati at 07:10am but failed to do so, making it in at 3:20 pm on Sunday. Rescheduled, the train left Kamalapur Railway Station at 4:20pm instead of at 8am, its scheduled departure time.

The Rangpur Express which was supposed to reach Kamalapur at 6:05am, did not arrive even at 3:20pm. The train was scheduled to leave Dhaka at 9am. It was rescheduled and left Kamalapur Station at 7:50pm. 

Dhumketu Express arrived at Kamalapur Station at 3pm instead of its regular scheduled time of 4:50am. The train was scheduled to leave Kamalapur for Rajshahi at 6am but it did not leave, even at 3:15pm. 

Md Sujon, passenger of Dhumketu Express was frustrated over missing an appointment with his client on Sunday morning. He blamed the concerned railway officials and the administration for his bad luck.

Special train, Lalmoni Eid, was to reach Kamalapur before 9am, but it did not turn up even at 3:20pm. The train was scheduled to leave Kamalapur for Lalmonirhat at 9:15am but the railway authorities did not bother to announce a new schedule for the special train. 

Sundarban Express left Khulna for Dhaka almost 6 hours late and Ekota Express was one and a half hours late in leaving Dinajpur on Sunday. 

Upokul Express from Noakhali was supposed to come to Kamalapur on Sunday morning and was scheduled to leave Kamalapur at 3:20pm for Noakhali, but the train did not reach Kamalapur till that time. 

Station Manager Mohammad Aminul Huque was not available in his office for comment on the delay. Station Master Shakhaowat Hossain Khan was also not present in his office. They were also not seen on the platform. On Saturday though, Shakhawat admitted to the delay in train schedules but had nothing more to say.

Buses on time 

Almost all Dhaka-bound buses reached the capital on time except for a few from northern districts.

Dhaka-bound buses maintained schedule. Buses from southern districts like Khulna, Satkhira, Patuakhali, Jessore, Chittagong, and Feni reached Dhaka on time. Buses from Sylhet and Habiganj also kept to their schedules. Dhaka –bound buses from Rajshahi, Natore, Sirajgonj were also on time. A few buses from Rangpur, Gaibandha, and Kurigram were late by two to five hours.

A Shyamoli Paribahan bus left Rangpur for Dhaka at 11pm on Saturday and reached the capital at 11:30am on Sunday, delayed by five hours. It was supposed to reach at 7:30am.

Muhid, a   Shyamoli Paribahan passenger said: “The journey from Rangpur to Sirajganj was delayed by the narrow road and slow driving. The bus driver pickedup passengers from many places on the way, causing the delay. “The driver killed two more hours locked in an argument with the police on the journey,” he said. 

Severe traffic congestion on Saturday on the roads in northern districts and on Aricha Ferry Ghat was smoothed out on Sunday.