• Friday, Feb 28, 2020
  • Last Update : 01:27 am

Khulna gang rape: Probe body seeks more time

  • Published at 04:25 pm August 13th, 2019
web-Khulna Government Railway Police
File photo of Khulna Government Railway Police Station Dhaka Tribune

Two separate probe committees, from Khulna and Dhaka, were formed to investigate the rape incident

The committee, formed to probe gang rape of a woman in custody, has sought another 15 days time to finish investigation. 

Kushtia Railway Circle Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Firoz Ahmed, head of the probe body, confirmed the matter on Tuesday.

Moreover, Firoz Ahmed, also the investigation officer (IO) of the case, said he will file an appeal before court on Wednesday to quiz the victim.  

He said: "More time is needed to complete the investigation as everyone is on Eid vacation. An application has been submitted to Pakshi district railway Superintendent of Police (SP) Md Nazrul Islam seeking 15 days time to complete it."

Also Read- Khulna gang rape: Case filed against 5 GRP policemen

Two separate probe committees, from Khulna and Dhaka, were formed to investigate the rape incident.

The probe body, formed by Khulna Government Railway Police (GRP, Pakshi railway district), started its work on August 6. 

On August 7, police headquarters closed Khulna Government Railway Police station OC Osman Gani and Sub-Inspector (SI) NazmulHaq for dereliction of duty following allegations of their involvement in the custody gang rape.

On August 9, a case was filed against the Officer-in-Charge (OC) of Khulna Government Railway police station (GRP) and four other policemen on charges of their involvement in the gang rape.

The case was filed by the victim herself with GRP police station, accusing OC Osman Gani, the duty officer on the night of the incident, and three other unnamed police personnel of rape.

What happened?

According to the victim's brother-in-law, she was apprehended by OC Osman Gani around 7pm on August 2, at Khulna railway station on allegations of stealing a mobile phone.

On August 3, police produced her before the Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Court in a drug case, with five bottles of phensedyl. The court then sent her to jail.

However, the next day, when the woman appeared before the court for her bail hearing, she alleged that OC Osman and four other police personnel raped her in turns.

To verify her statement, the court ordered a medical checkup for her at Khulna Medical College and Hospital (KMCH). 

Also Read- Khulna gang rape: OC Osman, SI Nazmul, closed over allegations

Later on August 5, the woman underwent a medical test and the report was yet to be available.

The victim's family alleged that OC Osman demanded Tk1 lakh on August 2 to free the woman from their custody. 

The OC has denied the rape allegation, saying: "The woman made up the story to avoid the drug case."