Four others were also affected
Three people have been killed after inhaling toxic fumes from a gas leak while working at a shipbreaking yard in Sitakunda upazila of Chittagong.
The deceased are Chhobidul Haque, 35, Mohammad Nantu, 42, and Rasel Matbor, 25. All of them were workers at the shipbreaking yard of Mak Corporation.
Confirming the incident, Sitakunda police station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Shamim Sheikh said: "The three workers were killed when a gas leak occurred while they were dismantling an oil tank on a ship around 12:30pm on Wednesday.
"The three died after inhaling toxic fumes from the gas leak."
The bodies of the deceased have been kept at Chittagong Medical College Hospital morgue, he furthered.
Polash Kumar Das, inspector (safety) of department of inspection for factories and establishment, said four others--who fell ill after the incident-- were taken to a hospital of the Bangladesh Ship Breakers Association, and are out of danger.
He said they are investigating into the matter, adding that stern action will be taken if any evidence of negligence is found.
"Mak Corporation has seen workplace casualties before," he further said.