• Saturday, Dec 14, 2019
  • Last Update : 07:11 pm

Motel staff dies in Chittagong fire

  • Published at 05:53 pm July 13th, 2019
Chittagong map
Map of Chittagong Dhaka Tribune

The fire presumably originated from a mosquito coil

A staff of Motel Six Shornali in Chittagong has died of suffocation in a fire that broke out in the same motel.  

The victim is Khokon Dutt, 55. The incident occurred on Saturday morning.

Firefighters recovered his body after breaking through the door of the room where the fire broke out. Khokon had been using the room to sleep. 

Purna Chandra Mutsuddi, Deputy Assistant Director of Chittagong Fire Service told Dhaka Tribune that the fire presumably originated from a mosquito coil.

"Khokon fell asleep after lighting a mosquito coil," Purna Chandra said. "The mattress caught fire from the coil, which caused the room to be filled with thick fumes. 

"He died suffocating from the fumes," he said. "He was dead for half an hour when we recovered his body."

The body has been handed over to police, Purna added.