• Wednesday, Apr 01, 2020
  • Last Update : 11:57 am

Students among 3 burned in Natore stove fire

  • Published at 12:47 pm June 27th, 2019
Web_Fire
Bigstock

The victims suffered burns on 60-80% of their bodies

At least three people - including two female students - have suffered burn injuries when a kerosene stove caught fire at a girls’ hostel in Natore.

The incident occurred in Natore city’s North Baragachha on Thursday morning.

Two of the injured - Shammi, 17, and Shondha, 18, are students of Nawab Sirajuddaula College; while the other is Abul Kashem, their neighbour.

Confirming the matter, Natore Fire Service Station Master Shahidul Islam said: “Shammi and Shondha were cooking on the stove in their room when it caught fire. When they tried to put out the fire, it spread to their bodies. Hearing their screams, Kashem ran in to help them, and got burnt in the process.”

The fire service responded quickly and sent the injured to Natore Sadar Hospital. The two girls were later transferred to Rajshahi Medical College Hospital when their conditions deteriorated. 

Natore Sadar Hospital Resident Medical Officer Mahbubur Rahman said 60%-80% of Shammi and Shondha’s bodies have been burned. He added that Kashem was still undergoing treatment at the hospital, though his burns are not as severe.