• Thursday, Nov 21, 2019
  • Last Update : 08:36 am

Efforts on, to make port city environment-friendly

  • Published at 09:18 pm May 29th, 2019
Chittagong map
Map of Chittagong Dhaka Tribune

City's 25% garbage choking drains, canals

Chittagong City Corporation (CCC) authorities have been making frantic efforts to turn the port city into a clean, healthy and environment friendly.

Md Shamsuddoha, made the disclosure at a seminar on ‘Air Pollution’ on the occasion of World Environment Day.

Chittagong Department of Environment (DoE) organized the seminar at the  Halda Conference room of the DoE office on Wednesday.

Addressing the seminar as chief guest, CCC's Chief Executive Officer (CEO) said, "The city corporation has undertaken door-to-door garbage collection and removal program, aiming to turn the town into a clean, healthy and environment-friendly. But, the city residents continue to dump garbage in a haphazard manner, which is standing in the way of the 100 percent waste disposal program."

"It is undeniable that the corporation dumps garbage openly in landfills. To reduce the pollution of open dumping of waste, we have made an agreement with the Power Development Board for generating power from garbage," said the CEO, adding that the condition of Karnaphuli River would have been much worse, if the river had not linked o the sea.

According to CCC, the port city, inhabited by six million people, produces 1800-2000 tons of garbage every day.

CCC authorities remove 75 percent of the waste, while the remaining 25 percent chokes the drains and canals of the city, eventually polluting the environment.

With Azadur Rahman Mollick, director of Department of Environment (Chittagong Metro) in the chair, the seminar was attended by representatives from different government agencies, NGOs, academics, development workers, journalists and entrepreneurs.

Prof Dr Md Mosharraf Hossain of the Institute of Forestry & Environmental Sciences (IFES) of Chittagong University, presented the key-note paper at the seminar.