• Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019
  • Last Update : 01:41 am

37 Bangladeshis confirmed dead in Tunisia boat capsize

  • Published at 02:07 pm May 12th, 2019
WEB- Tunisia
A migrant, who was rescued after their boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the Tunisian Coast after they had left Libya, is seen inside a local Red Cresent chapter in Zarzis, Tunisia May 11, 2019 Reuters

BDRCS opens hotlines to restore family links

Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen said, 37 Bangladeshis had perished in the boat capsize in the Mediterranean Sea.

"Among 51 of the migrants, 14 Bangladeshis have been rescued," the foreign minister said while briefing reporters at his office yesterday.

The Bangladesh Embassy in Tripoli also confirmed the death of the 37 Bangladeshi migrants in the boat capsize, reports UNB.

The Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) opened a hotline number yesterday, to establish contact with family members of the victims, and survivors of the incident.

The hotline numbers are 88-02-49354246, and 01811458521, said the BDRCS.

BDRCS' Restoring Family Links (RFL) wing Director Imam Zafar Sikder said they were in constant touch with the Tunisia Red Crescent Society, the Bangladesh Embassy in Tripoli, and the Foreign Ministry to stay updated on the matter.

ASM Ashraful Islam, labour counsellor of the Bangladesh embassy in Tripoli, said: "Primarily, we came to know there were 51 Bangladeshis on the boat, and 37 of them have died."

He also said, the embassy is in touch with the Red Crescent in Tunisia.

On Saturday, Mongi Slim, head of Tunisia’s Red Crescent, said around 75 migrants had left Zouara, Libya on a boat.

Slim told the Associated Press that only 16 people had been rescued by a Tunisian fishing boat, and 14 of them were Bangladeshis.

He said the people still missing are from Bangladesh, Egypt, Morocco, and other countries of sub-Saharan Africa.

Many Bangladeshis choose the risky way to reach Europe in hopes of a better life. A large number of them often perish in the sea. At least 164 people drowned in the first four months of this year, while crossing the Mediterranean Sea from Libya to Europe, according to the United Nations.

Friday's accident was dubbed the "deadliest migrant boat sinking since January" by the International Organization for Migration.