• Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019
  • Last Update : 12:15 am

Nusrat murder: Two Sonagazi SIs suspended

  • Published at 09:39 pm May 11th, 2019
Nusrat Jahan Rafi
File photo of Nusrat Jahan Rafi, an Alim examinee and student of Sonagazi Madrasa in Feni, who died on April 10, after being set on fire on April 6 Dhaka Tribune

Feni Superintendent of Police SM Jahangir Alam Sarkar is also facing action as recommended by the probe panel

Two sub-inspectors of Songazi police station have been temporarily suspended for negligence in handling the case of Nusrat Jahan Rafi.

Sub-Inspector Md Yusuf was attached to the Khulna Range DIG’s office while Sub-Inspector Iqbal Ahmed to Khagrhachharhi police, said Assistant Inspector General (Media) of Police Sohel Rana on Saturday.

AIG Sohel also said that attachment to different units is a punitive action for police.

They have faced the departmental action on recommendations by an investigation committee formed by the Police Headquarters, he added.

Feni SP to face disciplinary action

Feni Superintendent of Police SM Jahangir Alam Sarkar is also facing action as recommended by the probe panel.

“As part of the disciplinary action, police super Jahangir will also be attached to police unit,” said the spokesperson.

The matter is currently under process at the home ministry, he added.

Earlier yesterday, former Sonagazi police station OC Moazzem Hossain was temporarily suspended, and attached to the Rangpur Range.

Moazzem was previously withdrawn from Sonagazi police station, and transferred to the Armed Police Battalion (APBn), on April 10. His subsequent suspension came, following a report filed by a probe committee formed by the Police Headquarters on April 13, to investigate madrasa student, Nusrat Jahan Rafi's death.

Nusrat, an Alim examinee, and a student of Sonagazi Islamia Fazil (Degree) Madrasa, died on April 10, from injuries she received after supporters of madrasa principal, Md Sirajuddaula, set her on fire in the madrasa premises on April 6.

She had previously lodged a sexual harassment complaint, against Sirajuddaula on March 27, with the Sonagazi police station, after which he was arrested and jailed. Nusrat was set on fire after Sirajuddaula's associates failed to intimidate her into withdrawing the complaint.

A five-member probe panel led by DIG SM Ruhul Amin submitted its report on Apr 30 on police’s role.