• Friday, Nov 15, 2019
  • Last Update : 12:43 am

2 Rohingyas among 3 killed in Cox’s Bazar ‘gunfights’

  • Published at 07:07 pm April 22nd, 2019

BGB says the Rohingyas were in possession of 20,000 yaba pills and two sharp weapons

Three suspected drug dealers, including two Rohingya youths, have been shot dead in separate so-called gunfights with Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) and Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) in Cox’s Bazar.

The law enforcement officials also recovered a firearm, bullets, several sharp weapons, and banned drug yaba during the incidents on Sunday and Monday.

The two Rohingya youths — identified as Md Faruk Hossain, 23, and Saiful Islam, 28 — were killed in a “gunfight” with BGB personnel near Palongkhali bridge in Keruntali area under Teknaf’s Whykong union in the early hours of Monday, according to BGB.

The deceased were both residents of Block A, Rohingya camp 19 in Ukhiya’s Thaingkhali.

Cox's Bazar BGB 34th battalion’s Commander Lt Col Ali Haider Azad Ahmed said: "The drug dealers had started shooting at a BGB patrol team after seeing them approaching, forcing the BGB personnel to retaliate in self defence.”

He said Faruk and Saiful were found with gunshot wounds after the gunfight, while their accomplices managed to flee. They were taken to the Teknaf Upazila Health Complex, where duty doctors declared them dead on arrival.

Two sharp weapons and 20,000 yaba pills were also recovered from the scene," Lt Col Haider added.

He said the deceased were known drug smugglers and residents of the Thaingkhali Rohingya camp. “They used to smuggle in narcotics through several border points in Ukhiya and Teknaf.” 

Meanwhile, another drug dealer, identified as Mohiuddin, 35, was killed in a “gunfight” with RAB personnel near a hatchery situated alongside the Cox’s Bazar marine drive road around 4am on Sunday.

Confirming the incident, RAB 15 Deputy Commander Maj Md Rabiul Islam said that Mohiuddin, who was from Bandarban’s Naikhongchhari, was a known drug dealer.

He said RAB also recovered 1 firearm, three bullets and 10,000 yaba pills from the scene.

The bodies of all three deceased were later sent to the Cox's Bazar Sadar Hospital for autopsies.