• Monday, Dec 16, 2019
  • Last Update : 02:45 pm

2 held over setting woman on fire in Lakshmipur

  • Published at 11:58 am April 22nd, 2019

The woman was reportedly set on fire by a man she claims is her husband

Two people have been detained over an incident in which a woman was reportedly set on fire by a man she claims is her husband, Salahuddin, in Patarirhat area under Kamalnagar upazila in Lakshmipur.

Salahuddin's brothers—Abdur Rahman Biswas and Alauddin—were detained by police in Kamalnagar upazila on Monday morning.

Kamalnagar police station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Iqbal Hossain confirmed the matter to Dhaka Tribune. 

The victim, Shahinur Akhter, was admitted to the burn unit of Lakshmipur Sadar Hospital with around 40% burns on her body on Sunday. 

From there she was referred to Dhaka Medical College Hospital, as her condition became critical. 

Talking to Dhaka Tribune from the hospital in Lakshmipur, the woman—from Sonagazi area of Raozan upazila in Chittagong—claimed to be married to Salahuddin, who is from Patarirhat area. However, in the two years of their alleged marriage, she never set foot in his house in Lakshmipur.

On Friday, she decided to come to Salahuddin’s house, only to find out that he had been living with another woman as his wife, and two children. When she confronted him, he denied he was married to Shahinur.

Also Read- Woman reportedly set on fire by husband in Lakshmipur

For two days she stayed in the area, trying to get justice and recognition. On Sunday, Salahuddin allegedly took her to an empty field near his house, poured kerosene on her, and set her on fire.

Charfalkan Union Parishad Member Hafiz Ullah said: “When she came to us seeking justice, we asked for their marriage certificate, which she could not produce. She was supposed to go back home to get it on Sunday.

“A few witnesses claimed the woman set herself on fire, while others claimed the incident was mysterious.”  

Lakshmipur Superintendent of Police ASM Mahtab Uddin said: “The woman from Chittagong had no relatives here. So we sent her to Dhaka for better treatment along with three members of the police.”