• Tuesday, Jun 15, 2021
  • Last Update : 10:33 pm

Graduate degree mandatory for aspiring female government teachers

  • Published at 12:36 am April 10th, 2019
government primary school
File photo of a female teacher teaching students at a government primary school Dhaka Tribune

Earlier, candidates with Higher Secondary Certificates (HSC) were eligible to apply for the job

The government has made the graduation degree mandatory as a qualification for female candidates applying as teachers in government primary schools.

Earlier, candidates with Higher Secondary Certificates (HSC) were eligible to apply for the said posts.

The Primary and Mass Education Ministry has already issued the government rule for appointment of primary school teachers where the minimum qualification bar has been raised to graduation with a second class or similar CGPA from any recognized university as requisites for female candidates, said the Ministry's Secretary Akram-Al-Hossain.

With the latest development, the qualification is now unified for all candidates to ensure appointment of eligible teachers, he said, adding the rule has been changed in consultation with the Bangladesh Public Service Commission (BPSC).

The rule stated that: 20% of the teachers recruited through tests must have bachelors with honours degrees with a science background, the rule stated.

If there is lack of candidates from the science background to fill up the 20% quota, the posts can be filled up from the merit list, it further read.

The new guideline says 60% of the seats in the recruitment tests will be reserved for women, 20% for children of teachers and the remaining 20% for men, which will be filled up in the upazila or thana based appointments.

Of the total posts for head teachers, 65% will be recruited from Primary Assistant Teachers while the remaining 35% will be recruited through recruitment tests.

If a candidate is promoted to head teacher’s post, the candidate shall have at least seven years of job tenure including training during their primary assistant teacher posts.

The age limit for applying for both head teacher and primary assistant teacher posts has been modified between 21 to 30 years. 

Previously it was 25 to 35 years for head teachers and 18 to 30 years for assistant teachers’ posts, said the guideline. 

Currently, about 350,000 teachers are employed in over 65,000 government primary schools across Bangladesh.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail