• Friday, Nov 15, 2019
  • Last Update : 12:28 am

Fugitive Holey Artisan attack accused Khalid arrested in Chapainawabganj

  • Published at 07:13 pm January 25th, 2019

Khalid is also a death row convict for killing Rajshahi University teacher Prof Rezaul Karim Siddique in 2016

The Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) has arrested Shariful Islam Khalid, 27, the last fugitive in the case filed over the 2016 terror attack on Holey Artisan Bakery in Gulshan, Dhaka. 

He was arrested in Nachol upazila’s Haripur area in Chapainawabganj Friday afternoon, RAB Legal and Media Wing Director Mufti Mahmud Khan said.

“Khalid was accused in the charge sheet of the Holey Artisan terror attack case and was a fugitive,” he told the Dhaka Tribune. “We are now bringing him to Dhaka for interrogation. Details will be disclosed after further interrogation.”

He is also a death row convict for killing Rajshahi University (RU) teacher Prof AFM Rezaul Karim Siddique in 2016. 

Khalid is from Rajshahi’s Bagmara upazila and studied English at Rajshahi University.

During their investigation, India’s National Investigation Agency reportedly found ties between Khalid and an Islamic State militant arrested in West Bengal. 

Rajshahi Metropolitan Police had earlier announced a Tk2 lakh bounty for Khalid’s arrest.

Earlier on January 19, RAB arrested banned militant outfit Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) member Md Mamunur Rashid alias Ripon alias Rezaul Karim alias Reza in Gazipur. Reza, another accused in the case, was a key supplier of money, arms, and explosives for the terror attack.

What happened at Holey Artisan?

On July 1, 2016, gunmen stormed the Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka’s Gulshan area and opened fire. 

The attack claimed a total of 22 hostages, including 17 foreign nationals, and two policemen.

In July 2018, police submitted the charge sheet in the case against eight militants involved in the attack.

Some 21 members of militant outfit New JMB, a faction of JMB, were found to have been involved in the planning and execution of the attack, according to the charge sheet.

In November 2018, a Dhaka court framed charges against the eight accused. With the latest arrests, all the charge-sheeted accused are now in police custody.