One of the sisters suffered 80% burns in her face
Two sisters in Habiganj sustained burn injuries as a flammable chemical was thrown at them while they were sleeping.
The incident took place at their Baghasura village house in the Madhabpur upazila in the early hours of Friday, reports UNB.
The injured are college student Habiba Akhter, 20, and her school-going sister.
Locals said miscreants threw the combustible substance after cutting the window grill of their room in the early hours of the day while the two sisters were sleeping.
Hearing their screams, the other members of the house rushed to their room and rescued them.
The victims were first taken to the Sadar Adhunik Hospital from where they were sent to the Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital, later.
"It is not sure whether the substance is acid. However, it is a flammable substance," said Dr Saifur Rahman Sohagh, medical officer of the Sadar Hospital.
He said: “Habiba got 80% of her face burnt while Ayesha’s hands were burnt in the attack.”
Madhabpur police station OC Chandan Kumar Chakrabarty confirmed the matter.
He said they visited the spot and were trying to arrest the criminals.