The fire service contained the blaze on Thursday evening
Two jute mill warehouses have been gutted in a fire, in Chengutia of Abhaynagar upazila of Jessore; that damaged Tk15-crore’s-worth of goods.
A Roman Jute Mill warehouse caught fire due to an electric short circuit on Thursday afternoon. The fire later spread to a nearby yarn warehouse; burning raw jute, jute products, a shed, and machinery.
The fire service brought the blaze under control in the evening.
Managing Director of Roman Jute Mill Md Ali said: "Around 2:15pm on Thursday, the jute mill caught fire due to a short circuit in the electric line. After the Nawapara fire service was informed, they came and brought the situation under control by the evening."
Providing an inventory of the damaged goods, Ali said almost 4,000 maunds of raw jute, 40 tons of yarn—prepared for export to China and Turkey—, one-third of the machinery, and the shed were damaged in the fire.
Station officer of Nawapara fire station Khan Ehsan-ul-Alam said: "We are guessing the fire ensued from a short circuit. Three units of the fire service, after 2.15 hours, managed to extinguish the fire."