The incident occurred in Ramzanbibi Bazar of Begumganj upazila on Thursday
A fire has gutted seven shops in a Noakhali market, reportedly causing damage worth more than Tk2,000,000.
The incident occurred in Ramzanbibi Bazar of Begumganj upazila around 11pm on Thursday.
According to locals, by the time the fire was detected, around 12am, it had already gutted two shops in the market; a tailor’s shop and a cotton store. They tried, unsuccessfully, to douse the flames.
However, the flames continued to spread to other shops in the market, gutting five more stores: Ibrahim Tea Stall, Abdur Rab Cement, Swapan’s clothing store, Shahadat Pharmacy, a laundry store, and a coaching centre.
On a tip-off, fire service units from Maijdee and Chowmuhani responded to the scene, and contained the fire with the help of locals after more than 90 minutes of frantic efforts.
Shop owners claim that the fire has caused damage worth Tk2,000,000.
Confirming the matter to the Dhaka Tribune, Maijdee Fire Service and Civil Defense Station Inspector (warehouse) Md Shahadat Hossain said: “Five units of Maijdee and Chowmuhani fire service stations tamed the blaze after receiving a tip-off.
“We suspect that the fire might have originated from a short circuit of the market’s electrical supply line.”