A total of 126,798 pilgrims from Bangladesh will perform Hajj this year, of whom 6,798 are travelling to the kingdom under government management
Travel agencies that have stranded Bangladeshi pilgrims hoping to travel to Saudi Arabia for this year’s Hajj will have to “face the music,” the government said on Wednesday.
While some of the 606 pilgrims who have been unable to fly to the kingdom have cancelled their own trips due to illness or family bereavements, many are being forced to stay behind due to the negligence of some Hajj agencies, reports UNB.
“A number of complaints have been received against some agencies and action will be taken against them after the Hajj,” Religious Affairs Minister Principal Motiur Rahman said.
"The government has nothing to do in this regard, but the agencies that are involved in irregularities will have to face the music."
So far, a total of 121,868 pilgrims have reached Saudi Arabia ahead of this year’s Hajj, which will be held on August 20.
The minister told a press briefing at Hajj Camp in the city's Ashkona area on Wednesday that the rest of the pilgrims will arrive by Friday.
“The last flight of Biman Bangladesh Airlines will leave from Dhaka for Saudi Arabia on Wednesday while that of the Saudi Airlines on August 17.”
A total of 126,798 pilgrims from Bangladesh will perform Hajj this year, of whom 6,798 are travelling to the kingdom under government management.
The rest are booked in with the 528 private Hajj agencies which have been allowed to send pilgrims to the kingdom.
The first Hajj flight left for Saudi Arabia on July 14. The return flights will begin on August 27 and will continue until September 25.