• Saturday, Aug 24, 2019
  • Last Update : 10:44 am

Ha-Meem Group accused of encroaching 2 acres of forest area in Gazipur

  • Published at 02:11 pm May 19th, 2018
forest-department-signboard-in-gazipur-1526717312539.jpg
The Forest Department put up a signboard that claims the land as government property Dhaka Tribune

Previously, the company illegally occupied five acres of forest land and erected a multi-storey building

Ha-Meem Group has been accused of illegally occupying two acres of forest area in the Sreepur Upazila of Gazipur. The company allegedly put up a barbed wire fence outlining two acres of forest land. 

The Forest Department cut off a portion of the fence and put up a signboard that claims the land as government property. 

The forest land in question is located in the Telihati union beside the Dhaka-Mymensingh highway.

Previously, Ha-Meem Group illegally occupied five acres of forest land and constructed a multi-storey building, according to the Forest Department. A case was filed against the company by the Forest Department in 2007 in an attempt to claim back the land.

The court has ordered both parties to refrain from working or building on the five-acre plot until the case is permanently settled. The Forest Department said the case is still ongoing. 

Mozammel Hossain, a range officer from Sreepur, said: “About 12 years ago, Ha-Meem Group encroached on around five acres of land and built a wall surrounding the area. 

“After the Forest Department filed a case against them, the court gave orders to not build on the land or use it. Despite the restriction, the company is still constructing buildings.” 

“Recently, Ha-Meem Group has been trying to encroach on two more acres of forest area. They brought their people and put up a barbed wire fence outlining the land. The Forest Department intervened. Ha-Meem Group officials got into a verbal argument with us.

“Later, the Forest Department cut off a part of the fence and put up a signboard claiming the land as government property. Our officers are staying alert to deal with the situation. Legal measures are being taken,” the range officer said.

Ha-Meem Group Executive Director Abdul Wadud said: “The barbed wire fence was there before. The Forest Department put up the signboard recently. Their allegations are incorrect.”

The range officer accused the Ha-Meem Group of trying to create confusion by spreading misinformation.