• Wednesday, Aug 05, 2020
  • Last Update : 10:37 pm

Quota reform: Some RU students return to classes, others continue protests

  • Published at 05:25 pm April 10th, 2018
Quota reform: Some RU students return to classes, others continue protests
After postponing their activities on Monday, Rajshahi University (RU) students have returned to the streets again to continue their protests demanding quota reforms on Tuesday. However, students have separated into two groups following a discussion between Bangladesh Shadharan Chhatra Odhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad and government representatives. One group, under the leadership of left-wing leaders, have continued the protests, while the other group led by Bangladesh Shadharan Chhatra Odhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad have postponed all activities. Speaking to students, Convener of Rajshahi unit of Bangladesh Shadharan Chhatra Odhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad Masud Munnaf said: "In accordance with the decision made by the central committee, we will postpone our protest activities until May 7. "Different scheming parties are trying to use our protests to serve their own interests," continued the convener. "We urge the students to not join them." On the other hand, in a press briefing held by left-wing leaders, member of the Rajshahi unit of Student Federation Umme Kulsum called on students to boycott classes and continue demonstrations till demands for quota reforms are met. [caption id="attachment_258241" align="aligncenter" width="960"] Protests at Rajshahi University Dhaka Tribune[/caption] "Countrywide protests regarding quota reforms are going on," said Kulsum. "As part of it, we ask students to boycott classes and engage in sit-in activities and rallies on Wednesday." Other left-wing leaders were present during the briefing. According to campus sources, at around 11.30am on Tuesday, students brought out a procession from in front of the RU Central Library. When the procession reached Paris road in front of the university, left-wing leaders tried to provoke the students to block the main road by taking the procession under their control. At that time, activists from RU Bangladesh Shadharan Chhatra Odhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad intercepted the students and called on them to continue their protests inside the campus. At one stage, General Secretary of RU Chhatra League Faisal Ahmed Runu tried to stop the students from protesting. Later, both of the parties left the scene along with a portion of the student body. However, left-wing leaders have continued their demonstration with another portion of the student body. RU students have been protesting on a five-point demand on quota reform from February 19, which includes keeping 10% quota for freedom fighters and others, and the rest 90% on merit basis, for government jobs.  
50
50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail