• Monday, Mar 25, 2019
  • Last Update : 01:26 am

2 years on, no progress in probe into Tonu murder

  • Published at 10:35 am March 20th, 2018
  • Last updated at 08:46 pm March 20th, 2018
2 years on, no progress in probe into Tonu murder
Though two years have passed since the murder of Victoria College student Sohagi Jahan Tonu, there has been no significant headway in the investigation into the gruesome killing. Family members and locals expressed their anger and frustration as the killers are yet to be identified, let alone arresting anyone. Tonu, a second-year history student of Comilla Victoria College and a member of Victoria College Theatre, was found dead at Comilla Mainamati Cantonment on March 20, 2016 after she went out of her residence for private tuition. Her murder sparked a huge public outcry and people from home and abroad demanded justice for the college girl. Doctors at forensic department of Comilla Medical College Hospital conducted two autopsies on her body but their reports did not mention any clear cause of her death. In May, 2016, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) told media that semen of three men were found in DNA test but the officials concerned denied making any comment over further development. Civil society members in the district expressed their doubt over the trial as the investigators are yet to identify the killers, even after two years into the incident.
Also Read- 22 months of Tonu murder: Probe progressing at snail’s pace
Maymuna Aktar Rubi, joint general secretary of Sushasoner Jonno Nagorik (Sujan) Comilla unit, said: "An enthusiastic girl was killed and after two years, her killers are yet to be identified. Imagine what kind of society we are living in." The case has been lying with the CID for long without substantial progress, said Gonojagoron Mancha Comilla unit organizer Khairul Alam Raihan. Tonu's mother Anwara Begum said: "My daughter was killed when she went to Sergeant Zahid's house for tuition. So, Zahid and his wife should be interrogated over the murder." "I hope I will see the trial of my daughter's murder before my death," she further said. Meanwhile, investigation officer of the case senior police superintendent of CID Jalal Uddin Ahmed said they will interrogate several more people within two or three months. "We are working to identify the killers of Tonu," he said.