A fire broke out in a bazaar – a village market – near the Kutupalong Rohingya camp in Ukhiya early on Friday, burning down around 50 shops.
Shop owners have estimated the fire caused losses worth around Tk15 crore, sources told the Dhaka Tribune.
Witnesses said the fire broke out around 1:30am on Friday in the Kutupalong bazaar.
“At night we noticed the beginnings of a fire in an alley of the bazaar. As soon as they caught sight of it, shop owners as well as the locals jumped into action to contain the fire,” said one of the witnesses.
“But the fire spread everywhere within seconds and destroyed almost all the shops,” he added.
On receiving information, members of the Fire Service and Civil Defence unit in Ukhiya rushed to the spot to douse the fire. Later, they were joined by a unit of Bangladesh Army, Ukhiya police and local administration officials and succeeded to put out the fire.
Fire Service officials said the fire might have been the result of a short circuit.