• Sunday, Sep 23, 2018
  • Last Update : 09:59 am

Another killed in Sylhet stone quarry, two more missing

  • Published at 11:01 am March 1st, 2018
Another killed in Sylhet stone quarry, two more missing
Another labour has been killed while they were extracting stones from a quarry in Companiganj upazila of Sylhet district. Kachha Miya. 45, died in the incident that took place at Shah Arfin Tila on Wednesday noon. Another labour was injured in the incident while two other went missing. Companiganj police station Inspector (Investigation) Dilip Kanta Nath said: "Kachha Miya and Abdul Ghani, 55, were seriously injured as the shaft collapsed on them while they were extracting stones. "Kachha Miya died on the way to a hospital. His body has been sent to Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital for autopsy." He said the incident occurred while a task force was raiding a neighbouring quarry. Inspector Dilip said: "A team from Sylhet fire service team will visit the spot on Thursday morning to rescue the missing labourers." Companiganj Union Nirbahi Officer Muhammad Abul Laichh said: "Announcements are constantly made through the loudspeakers forbidding all mining activities in the quarries here, but people still risk their lives to illegally procure stones and some of them land up paying the ultimate price. "We must strengthen the task force to prevent these incidents from happening in future." Earlier on Sunday, five workers were killed and three others injured in a similar incident at the Bholaganj quarry under the same upazila.