• Sunday, Dec 15, 2019
  • Last Update : 11:42 pm

Marma sisters shifted to ICU

  • Published at 01:54 pm January 27th, 2018
  • Last updated at 03:19 pm January 27th, 2018
Marma sisters shifted to ICU
Two sisters of a Marma family, who were allegedly raped and sexually assaulted on January 22 in Orachhari village of Rangamati, have been shifted to the intensive care unit of Rangamati Sadar Hospital. Hospital authorities have confirmed that a medical team, led by Dr Hena Barua, has been formed to treat the victims. Responding to a query, acting civil surgeon of Rangamati, Dr Nihar Ranjan Nandi said: “A six-member medical team has been formed. Dr Hena Barua, who is leading this team, will conduct a medical checkup on the sisters on Saturday [January 27]. “The girls are currently being kept in the intensive care unit (ICU), and are undergoing treatment there. We have not made any decision regarding their release.” On Friday (January 26), Chakma Circle Chief Barrister Raja Debashish Roy, his wife Yen Yen and National Human Rights Commission member Banchita Chakma visited the sisters at the hospital. They pleaded the hospital authorities for releasing the sisters to their custody so that they can ensure them better treatment, but their offer was turned down. The hospital administration refused to release the sisters without the consent of their legal guardians.
Also Read- Two Marma sisters allegedly raped and sexually assaulted in Rangamati
Speaking to this correspondent, Barrister Debashish said: “Using the Marma language, the girls were pleading us to take them away from this hospital. They need better treatment, and we wanted to ensure that. “The sisters wanted to come with us too, but the hospital administration denied our plea, citing legal complications. The mental state of the victims is deteriorating.” Commenting on the matter, Sayed Tarikul Hassan, superintendent of police in Rangamati pointed out: “No legal guardian has shown up yet to take custody of the Marma sisters. When the doctors release them from custody, they can go. I cannot comment further on the matter.” A number of people, including Rangamati lawmaker Ushaton Talukder and Additional Deputy Commissioner (Revenue) Prakash Kanti Chowdhury also visited the sisters on Friday. On January 22, the army and the Ansar conducted a joint-raid at Orachhari village under Farua Union in Rangamati’s Belaichari Upazila around midnight. During the raid, a Marma girl, 18, was allegedly raped and her younger sister, 13, was reportedly sexually assaulted by a group of men. The sisters were admitted to Rangamati Sadar Hospital the next day. Both the army and Ansar have denied any involvement of their personnel in the reported incident, and have launched an investigation into the matter. This article was first published on banglatribune.com