• Thursday, Jun 20, 2019
  • Last Update : 11:16 am

Back from the dead: Man returns home, 9 years after his 'murder'

  • Published at 10:30 am January 23rd, 2018
  • Last updated at 01:07 am January 24th, 2018
Back from the dead: Man returns home, 9 years after his 'murder'
Jalal Uddin, who was reportedly abducted and murdered in 2009, has returned home after nine years but the murder case filed over the incident has left the accused and their family members penniless. Jalal, a native of Hossainpur area of Kishoreganj, allegedly went missing on July 10, 2009 but returned home to his wife on January 16. He appeared before a court after returning home. Jalal's lawyers told the court that he lost his memory after being drugged by the people who were accused in the case. The lawyers said Jalal returned home after he remembered his past. Meanwhile, people who were accused of abducting and murdering Jalal, are seeking justice for the harassment. According to family members, Jalal went missing in 2009. Later, his wife Lolita Begum filed a case with Hossainpur police station on March 31, 2010. She named five people-- Shankar Sutradhar, Md Assad Mallik, Ruhul Amin, Heera Miah and Azharul Islam --in the case. According to the case documents, these five people took Tk250,000 from Jalal with the promise of sending him to Saudi Arabia. However, he was reportedly taken to Dhaka and abducted. Talking about Jalal’s return, Lolita said: “My husband returned after a long time but he cannot remember the things that happened to him during the time of his disappearance. “Jalal has mentioned that he roamed around aimlessly for years and begged for food. He does not remember anything else.” On the other hand, a number of local people suspect that Jalal is working for a certain quarter. They claimed: “An unknown third party weaved a conspiracy of the fake abduction and murder to take down their rivals through legal system.” Prime accused Shankar Sutradhar left Bangladesh for India after the case was filed against him. Another suspect Heera Miah has also left home, leaving behind his four daughters. After going into hiding for sometime, Heera managed to secure a bail and returned home. However, the chain of events has all but ruined his family. Claiming that the whole incident is a farce, another accused of the case Ruhul Amin said: “A certain quarter hid Jalal away somewhere, and filed the false case against us.” Ruhul was also on the run for three years. The case has ruined his financial and social status. The murder case not only destroyed the livelihood of Azharul Islam, who was a pharmacist, but he reportedly suffered torture at the hands of the police. “Police threatened to put me in crossfire. These horrific incidents will haunt me forever,” he said. After Jalal's return, Abdur Rahman of Additional District and Sessions Judge Court 2 on January 18 directed the chief judicial magistrate to send trial of the case to a lower court. He also directed the Hossainpur police station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Abul Hossain re-investigate the case. Speaking to the correspondent, the OC stated he have not received any documents from the court regarding the matter. This article was first published on banglatribune.com