• Thursday, Apr 25, 2019
  • Last Update : 09:10 am

Love-struck teenagers' escape to India in vain

  • Published at 08:24 pm January 7th, 2018
  • Last updated at 11:58 pm January 7th, 2018
Love-struck teenagers' escape to India in vain
A love-struck teenage couple's escape to India from Sirajganj has ended up futile as both has been sent back home. The runaways, who are of different faiths, was detained and sent to a juvenile correction centre in India, where they spent months before they were sent back to Bangladesh. The boy, 17, returned through Hili border on Sunday around 11am after languishing in a detention centre for 14 months, said immigration sources. The girl, 14, returned home before him, on December 8. The girl, a Muslim, has already been handed over to her family, while the boy, a Hindu, will be sent to his family soon, said Md Aftab Hossain, officer-in-charge of immigration checkpoint in Hili. After his return to Bangladesh on Sunday, the boy told the Dhaka Tribune that he and his girlfriend ran away in 2016. They first reached Balurghat when they crossed over to the Indian territory on November 2, 2016. They were heading towards but some locals, suspicious of their movement, apprehended them at Balurghat bus stand, he added.   [caption id="attachment_238680" align="aligncenter" width="800"] The 14-year-old girl who ran away with her 17-year-old beau was returned to Bangladesh via Hili border on December 8, 2017 Dhaka Tribune[/caption] Immigration officer Aftab said members of Indian law enforcement agencies detained the two teenagers about 14 months ago for crossing over to India without documents. An Indian court sent them to Balurghat Shobbhayan Home, a juvenile correction centre at South Dinajpur district in West Bengal. The authorities concerned in both countries made regular correspondence over their detention, and after the exchange of necessary documents, both the teenagers were released with travel permits. Aftab said they would hand the boy over either to Sirajganj Sadar police or to his family members. Meanwhile, an abduction case has been filed against the boy with Sirajganj Sadar police station by the girl's family, but Sirajganj police sources confirmed that the boy's family and the girl's family has reached an out-of-court settlement. The couple may feel that they have been subjected to unfair treatment, but they are certainly more fortunate than the teenage couple in Karachi, Pakistan, who were both victims of honour killing in December last year because they tried to elope when their families refused to let them marry.