• Tuesday, Dec 10, 2019
  • Last Update : 08:06 am

Diaz’s mother hospitalised after falling sick during hunger strike at CU

  • Published at 10:50 pm December 3rd, 2017
Diaz’s mother hospitalised after falling sick during hunger strike at CU
The mother of deceased Bangladesh Chhatra League leader Diaz Irfan Chowdhury has been hospitalised after she fell sick during her hunger strike on Chittagong University (CU) campus. Demanding immediate arrest of the people behind her son’s death, Jaheda Amin Chowdhury, a third-class employee at CU, had started her fast unto death last week. She was admitted to Surgiscope Hospital in the city on Saturday after her condition deteriorated. “The doctors said that my mother is very weak and her blood pressure is very low. She is now being fed through a nasogastric tube,” Diaz’s elder sister Zubaida Sarwar Chowdhury Nipa told the Dhaka Tribune on Sunday.
Also Read- Slain Chhatra League leader Diaz’s mother on hunger strike at CU
She said Superintendent of Police (SP) Noor E Alam and several other higher-ups of Chittagong Metropolitan Police visited her mother on Saturday night. “The SP assured us of bringing my brother’s murderers to justice and made my mother drink water. “But she has not eaten or drunk anything else since then. We are feeling extremely helpless. Pray so that we can break her hunger strike and save her life,” Nipa added. Diaz, who was the joint secretary of Chhatra League CU unit and an assistant secretary in the central committee of Awami League’s student wing, was found hanging from the ceiling in the house his family lives near the CU’s Gate No 2 on November 20 last year. The initial autopsy report said that Diaz had committed suicide, but his family and loyalists claimed that Diaz’s rivals murdered him over a tender bidding issue and hung the body to cover it up. Rejecting the autopsy report, Jaheda Amin Chowdhury had also started a case with a Chittagong court accusing 10 people including CU’s former assistant proctor Anwar Hossain Chowdhury and Chhatra League unit President Alamgir Tipu. Diaz’s remains were exhumed after a court on December 6 last year ordered a re-examination. The second autopsy was conducted five days later.
Also Read- Mystery shrouds BCL leader Diaz’s death
The report of this examination said that several wounds were found on Diaz’s body and he was strangulated. In August this year, after receiving the latest forensic report, the court had ordered police to arrest the accused, but no arrest has been made yet. After exhausting all resources to get justice for her son’s murder in the past one year, Diaz’s mother Jaheda began her hunger strike at Bangabandhu Chattar on CU on November 27. Wrapping herself with a white shroud, she was seen holding a piece of white cloth with several names the alleged killers of Diaz written on it.