• Friday, Jul 20, 2018
  • Last Update : 12:47 am

Chhatra League activist beaten to death in Barisal

  • Published at 10:52 pm November 22nd, 2017
  • Last updated at 11:25 pm November 22nd, 2017
Chhatra League activist beaten to death in Barisal
An activist of Bangladesh Chhatra League succumbed to his injuries on early Wednesday, after he was beaten reportedly by activists of Jubo League on Tuesday afternoon. The deceased was identified as Sakir Gomosta, 17, an HSC student of Palordi Model School and College and son of Aiub Ali Gomosta from Ashukathi of Gouranadi municipal area. Manirul Islam, officer in charge of Gouranadi police station, said the victim’s mother Aleya Begum lodged a murder case in this connection against 12 accused, including 6 named, on Wednesday. The culprits were yet to be arrested and law enforcement officials had visited the scene of the crime, he added. Students and teachers of Palordi Model School and College on Wednesday formed a human chain on the campus in protest of the murder and demanded the immediate arrest of the killers. Prince Bepari, secretary of the municipal unit of Chhatra League, confirmed the incident and that Sakir had been an activist of the student group. Police and witnesses said Sohel Gomosta, Riaz Khan, Ilias Khan, Sumon Haoladar, Emran Mir, and Fahim, all local activists of Jubo League, rebuked teachers of Palordi Model School and College over their stand against eve teasing and drug addiction on Tuesday morning. At that time, Sakir locked into an altercation with the Jubo League activists as he looked to support the teachers. Subsequently, the Jubo League activists attacked Sakir while he was on his way home in the afternoon and mercilessly beat him. Sakir was admitted to the upazila health complex in critical condition, and was later transferred to Barisal Sher E Bangla Medical College Hospital (SBMCH) on Tuesday afternoon. In the evening, SBMCH doctors transferred him once more, this time to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH), after his condition deteriorated. Sakir succumbed to his injuries in the capital at around 2am on Wednesday. Once news of Sakir’s death broke in the media, agitated locals of Gouranadi ransacked the house of Sohel Mir and shop of Mahbub Talukdar, before police rushed to the scene to control the situation.