The transport strike called by Sylhet road transport workers’ union has been withdrawn after six hours of woe of the commuters.
The indefinite strike was called following a clash between the workers and local Awami League men on Tuesday afternoon.
After a meeting with Sylhet Metropolitan Police Commissioner Golam Kibria, District Road Transport Owners’ Association President Selim Ahmed Folik called off the strike around 12:30pm on Wednesday.
The strike was withdrawn after police assured the transport workers of meeting their demands.
Since 6am, long distance buses had stayed off the road while very few numbers of vehicles were seen plying the city streets, leading to commuters’ distress.
A government official, requesting anonymity, told the Dhaka Tribune that even though the strike was enforced from the early hours of Wednesday, traffic movement from Sylhet to other parts of the country had been called off on Tuesday night.
Due to this, he could not leave for Dhaka on Tuesday night. He also said he could not get any tickets at the railway station.
Until the strike was called off, no buses left the Kodomtoli Bus Terminal as transport workers had created blockades on the roads.
The workers’ union called the strike after a clash between transport workers and local Awami League leaders and activists at Hotel Taj Mahal on Tuesday afternoon. During the brawl, at least five people were injured.
Later in the evening, owners and workers announced the transport strike demanding the arrest of the alleged attackers and recovery of illegal weapons.
Sylhet city’s Additional Deputy Commissioner (Media) Zedan Al Musa earlier said they were trying to catch those responsible for the clash.