• Friday, Jan 24, 2020
  • Last Update : 12:05 am

Massive rescue drive for BGB man missing over 18 hours

  • Published at 08:28 pm June 27th, 2017
  • Last updated at 09:30 pm June 27th, 2017
Massive rescue drive for BGB man missing over 18 hours
Border guards, firemen, Indian border force members and local volunteers were all looking for missing Lance Nayek Sumon Miah throughout Tuesday in Dahagram, Lalmonirhat. The BGB man went missing in the Teesta River at the border area of Abuler Char around 2am Tuesday morning during a scuffle with cattle smugglers at the border area of Dahagram. Indian Border Security Force (BSF) were the first to respond with search parties on speedboats within hours of Sumon's disappearance. Lalmonirhat 15 BGB Battalion chief Lt Col Golam Morshed told the Dhaka Tribune in the evening that rescue operations were stopped at 6:45pm due to insufficient light and will be continued from 8am Wednesday morning. [caption id="attachment_71455" align="alignright" width="300"]missing BGB Nayek Sumon Missing BGB Lance Nayek Sumon Miah[/caption] He said rescuers had planned to bring an Air Force helicopter for the search but it was cancelled because the water was too muddy. The Teesta River winds in and out of Bangladesh in this area. The remote Abuler Char is about 12km from the nearest BGB camp and the force was only able to bring a speedboat to the spot around 11am by truck from Mogolhat. But BSF speedboats began looking for Sumon around 3am after BGB officials called them for support at night. BGB Rangpur Sector Commander AK Azad said he and Regional Commander Brig Gen AKM Saiful Islam had inspected the entire river from Abuler Char to the Teesta Barrage by speedboat. They deemed the waters too muddy for a helicopter search to be of any use. Fire Service sent an 8-member team of divers to the river in the morning. BGB officers said Lance Nayeks Sumon, Tutul Miah and Uccha Pru Marma, led by Habildar Anwar Hossain went to Abuler Char, near sub-pillar 3 under main pillar 3 at night for a drive against cattle smugglers. When the team encountered a group of smugglers bringing cattle in from India, they tried to seize the cattle from them. Lance Nayek Tutul Miah was dragged into the river with the cows. Sumon got down into the water to help him, leaving his weapon and ammunitions with Uccha Pru. Tutul returned with two cows some time later, but Sumon did not. Lt Col Morshed said the rescue operation would continue until Sumon was found dead or alive.