• Tuesday, Nov 19, 2019
  • Last Update : 01:19 am

Sleeping boy burnt to death

  • Published at 01:14 am May 17th, 2017
Sleeping boy burnt to death
A third-grader was burned to death while he was sleeping at his home on Tuesday. The tragic incident took place at 2:30am at Keochia union under Satkania upazila of Chittagong. The 10-year-old victim was identified as Saidul Islam Sunny, son of Sahab Uddin. Saidul’s grandmother and younger sister also sustained burn injuries. The grandmother was taken to Chittagong Medical College Hospital in a critical state. Fire service sources said the fire may have originated from an electrical short-circuit. In conversation with the Dhaka Tribune, Priyo Lal, sub-inspector of Satkania police station said: “Everyone but the boy managed to escape the house when the fire started. The family members could not rescue him as the fire spread and engulfed the whole house within a very short time.” Jashim Uddin, an official of Agrabad Fire Service and Civil Defense said: “Two vehicles from Satkania Fire Station rushed to the spot and brought the situation under control after two hours of frantic effort. The damage from the fire has been estimated at Tk6 lakh.”