Sources in police say the charge sheet may be submitted in court on Monday
The Home Ministry has cleared the charge sheet in the case over the 2016 terror attack in Dhaka’s Gulshan and it will be submitted in court any day.
Dhaka Metropolitan Police’s Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime (CTTC) unit Deputy Commissioner Mohibul Islam on Sunday disclosed the information to the Dhaka Tribune.
However, sources in police said the charge sheet might be submitted on Monday.
The development, however, comes after DMP Commissioner Md Asaduzzaman Mia on June 28 said the charge sheet would be submitted byJuly 8.
Twenty-two people, including 17 foreigners and two policemen, were killed by five terrorists in the attack at the Holey Artisan Bakery and O' Kitchen restaurantsituated in the capital’s diplomatic zone on the evening of July 1, 2016.
Army commandos stormed the restaurant the next morning, killing the terrorists and rescuing other hostages.
The gunmen were later identified as Nibras Islam, Rohan Imtiaz, Meer Saameh Mubasser, Khairul Islam and Shafiqul Islam, andmembers of New Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (New JMB), a breakaway faction of banned militant outfit JMB.
The case under the Anti-Terrorism Act was filed with theGulshan police station three days after the attack. Later, the CTTC unit took charge of the investigation.
Last month, CTTC’s Additional Commissioner Monirul Islam said that a total of 21 people were involved in that attack. “Most of the names came up in confessions and statements of several accused and witnesses.Among them, 13 including the five terrorists have died during raids, six are under arrest and two are still on the run.”
Eight other suspects who were killed during drives across Bangladesh had included Tamim Ahmed Chowdhury, the alleged mastermind behind the attack.
Six suspects who are currently behind bars are - Jahangir Alam alias Rajib alias Gandhi, Rashed alias Rash, Sohel Mahfuz alias Hatkata Mahfuz, Rakibul Islam Reagan, Mizanur Rahman alias Boro Mizan, and Hadisur Rahman Sagor. All of them have confessed in court about their roles in the attack.
Two others, SharifulIslam Khalid and Mamunur Rashid Ripon, whowere also involved in the brutal murder of Rajshahi University teacher Prof Rezaul Karim Siddique, reportedly fled to India before the attack and are yet to be apprehended.
Investigators earlier said top New JMB leader Sarwar, also known as Shaykh Abu Ibrahim al-Hanif, had supervised the whole attack.
Two other top members of the outfit, retired army major Zahid and Tarek,had reportedly trained the five attackers on physical and weapons operations at different militant dens in Gaibandha and Bogra.
One Tanvir Kaderi was their financier and shelter provider. The attackers had also stayed at Tanvir’s house at Dhaka’s Bashundhara Residential Area before the attack.
CTTC officials said Boro Mizan, along with Mahfuz and Sagor, had supplied the arms and explosives used in the terror attack, which is one of the largest ever to take place on Bangladesh soil.